Old Zion 2Church History

History of Our Church

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was founded in 1865 at Roger's Corners after separating from St. Thomas Evangelical Lutheran church to form a more northern and western location. The original church building was dedicated in 1867 with a church council consisting of Jacob Eschelbach, Michael Hinderer, and John Schenk. The congregation has a rich German heritage based on the concentration of German immigrants in Freedom Township.  All services were conducted in German until 1930. In 1949, a new parish hall was dedicated and a sanctuary was built above it in 1974. Another addition in 1994 added offices and meeting space. 

 

Our congregation continues its Lutheran legacy blending tradition enriched by the increasing diversity of our membership. In 2015, we celebrated our 150th anniversary with a variety of activities that led up to the 500th anniversary of the Reformation in 2017. We are one of more than 100 congregations in the Southeast Michigan Synod of the ELCA.


Interested in more details regarding our history?  A summary of church minutes form 1867 through 1951 is available to download.  A note of thanks to Edith Weber and Ingrid Weber for their dedication to preserving the early history by translating original minutes from Old German to English.  pdfClick here to download the Summary of Church Minutes.206.63 KB

© 2019 Zion Lutheran Church
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community